EKOenergy is an ecolabel for electricity. The purpose of the ecolabel is to assure the consumer that their purchase makes a difference. Unsurprisingly only electricity originating from renewable sources can be sold under the EKOenergy label.
EKOenergy is more than just renewable electricity, it also a network of 28 environmental NGOs from across 21 European countries.
EKOenergy aims to:
- stimulate the development of the renewable electricity sector and to promote climate friendly solutions
- contribute to the protection of biodiversity, habitats and ecosystem services
- inform all electricity consumers about the product they are buying and about the meaning and impact of their purchase.
- mobilize the positive energy of 1000′s of individuals, groups and companies sharing our ambition, and to give them the opportunity to get involved.
- foster the dialogue between and join forces with the electricity sector, the environmental NGOs and other stakeholders (e.g. consumer organizations and authorities).
EKOenergy fulfills sustainability requirements and criteria set by the EKOenergy Network,
Electricity suppliers can sell EKOenergy labeled electricity to consumers if they have signed the EKOenergy Licence Agreement and if they fulfill all requirements of that Licence Agreement and of the text ‘EKOenergy – Network and label’.
List of licensed EKOenergy suppliers
The criteria listed in the Licence Agreement and in the text ‘EKOenergy – Network and label’ deal with the following aspects:
- The consumers have to be properly informed, e.g. about where and how the electricity has been produced (chapter 6 of the text ‘EKOenergy – Network and label’)
- EKOenergy is always renewable electricity. On top of that, it fulfills the sustainability criteria set by the EKOenergy Network, and a part of the electricity price goes to the EKOenergy Climate Fund (chapters 7, 8 & 9 of the text ‘EKOenergy – Network and label’)
- Tracking and avoidance of double counting (chapter 10 of the text ‘EKOenergy – Network and label’)
- Auditing and verification (chapter 11 of the text ‘EKOenergy – Network and label’)
EKOenergy website: http://ekoenergy.org