About the Sustainable Event Alliance
The SEA was founded in 2009 by a group of events professionals who were specialising in event sustainability.
It was recognised that there was no central professional guild for this field and that those working on event sustainability at that time were setting the markers of what good practice looks like.
So we banded together and built the Sustainable Event Alliance one event sustainability professional at a time.
With sustainability in event management, thankfully, becoming more mainstream and of interest by the event sector, we are now a growing global affiliation of organisations, events, and individuals who are focusing on improving the sustainability outcomes of events.
Together we're committed to harnessing the powerful opportunity to advance and promote sustainable development through events.
Our vision is to unite event professionals and together work towards increased attention to and the practice of sustainability in event management, ultimately to reduce the impacts of events, to play their part in restoring and regenerating natural systems and in creating a fair and healthy world for all.
Build community and work together
- Offer a space for networking, discussion and ideas exchange around sustainable event management.
- Engage those currently not involved with sustainable event management, who may benefit from further development and implementation of sustainable practices.
- To spread the desire to reduce the impacts of event production.
- Network with other event sustainability and related programmes.
Support and recognise excellence
- Communicate and create a commonality of best practice in sustainable event management across all industry sectors and the supply chain.
- Set competency standards and accredit event professionals.
- Open opportunities for innovation of sustainable production solutions within the industry.
- Provide a database of solutions and services.
- Offer pathways to professional development training and capacity building.
The SEA is not for profit and established as an ‘Incorporated Association’, registered in NSW, Australia.
It was incorporated in July 2010. Incorporation number: INC9893674.
View SEA Constitution.
The SEA Board sets the strategic agenda for the organisation, and ensures transparent and ethical governance.
The board members are the legal representatives of the SEA and ensure the implementation of the association's constitution, that all dealings are transparent, and that the financial control of the association meets the requirements of Incorporated Associations under the Associations Act of Australia.
The board determines membership fees, approves programmes and protocols for inclusion and endorsement of or partnerships with third parties by the SEA.
Treasurer: Meegan Jones
Membership Co-ordinator: Greg Howell
Secretary: Cameron Little
Event sustainability and relevant subject specialists form the Leadership Team and drive the day to day operation of the Sustainable Event Alliance. They advise the board however have no board voting rights or any legal fiduciary responsibility. The remit of the Leadership Team is to:
- Be the voice for SEA within the industry and their relevant sector
- Provide a flow of ideas and information regarding new trends and news from their sector
- Offer advice, suggestions and feedback on the overall operation of the SEA
- Actively project-manage some aspect of the day-to-day operation of the organisation