Over the last decade Shawna had the fortune to play in many different event sustainability sandboxes in the corporate, technology, tourism & travel, sport and association sectors. This has involved working with internal and agency event teams in different corners of the globe who are planning events of diverse scope and scale - from a few dozen to tens of thousands of participants.
She relishes learning about the unique challenges their event or event company is experiencing, and lending support to provide both proven as well as new and innovate sustainability solutions that respond to their individual situation. These solutions often involve working across internal departments and with groups outside the event organization and are driven to produce measurable results.
Shawna says she proudest when she sees her event clients go on to win media and award recognition for their efforts.
Most recently she has been inspired by the opportunity for events to influence attendees to make better choices for themselves, their communities and the planet. This led to the creation of a mobile application based-event sustainability game for EventCamp Vancouver which engaged attendees in fun, simple acts of 'green' that reduced impacts while creating social good.
"Get Your Green On" became the winner of the 2012 IMEX Commitment to Community Award.
She has contributed to the creation and roll-out of event sustainability standards, including participation in the Canadian Mirror Committee for ISO 20121.
Shawna enjoys sharing stories--many of them self-deprecating--in event sustainability via her personal blog, which she hopes inspires other event professionals to make sustainability an everyday practice.
- Master of Arts in Environmental Education & Communication
- Bachelor of Tourism Management
Major event consulting projects:
- American Wind Energy Association Windpower Conference
- America's Cup 34 Sustainability Plan
- Canadian Tourism Commission Canada Media Marketplace
- Cisco Partner Summit
- Cisco Live
- EventCamp Vancouver
- Greenbuild International Conference & Expo
- IMEX Frankfurt
- Intel Developer Forum US & China
- Oracle OpenWorld & JavaOne US, China & Brazil
- Unitarian Universalist Association General Assembly
Event organization consulting projects/training:
- Intel Event Marketing / Procurement
- Green Meetings Industry Council
- Meeting Professionals International
- Oceans Blue Foundation
- Oracle Event Marketing
Event supplier consulting projects:
- Hilton Hotels Worldwide
- Travel Alberta