Location: 1055 Canada Place Vancouver, BC, V6C 0C3 Canada
Venue Type: Conference Centre, Exhibition Centre
About the Venue
The Vancouver Convention Centre is located in beautiful downtown Vancouver, directly on the waterfront surrounded by mountains. With 72 meeting rooms and a grand total of 43,340 m² space to be utilized the Vancouver Convention Centre can boast that is is the only two time winner of the prestigious AIPC(International Association of Congress Centres) award for "World's Best Convention Centre"
The following information details the sustainability profile of the venue. More details on the environmental aspects of the venue can be found here: www.vancouverconventioncentre.com/thefacilities/environment/
- The venue has a sustainability policy in place.
- We have a greening committee
- We actively engage our staff in our sustainability initiatives and their success
- The venue has successfully achieved independent certification for its sustainable operation - Go Green.
- The venue has successfully achieved independent certification for the sustainable construction of the building - LEED.
- We have a sustainable procurement policy in place.
- Local produce and products are sourced.
- Organic and Fairtrade products are sourced.
- Purchases ‘Green Power’ electricity generated from low-impact renewable sources in British Columbia
- Received one of Canada’s first ‘Go Green’ certificates from the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) for environmental best practices
- Designated a Power Smart Convention Centre by BC Hydro’s Power Smart Partner in Business Program after converting to state-of-the-art energy-efficient lighting, HVAC and energy control systems
- We purchase renewable energy through our main supply retailer
- We measure, report and disclose total venue energy consumption and GHG emissions.
- We can only supply total venue energy consumption figures (kWh) and then extrapolate the based on percentage of floor area used
The following actions are taken to prevent waste:
- avoid prepackaged canned goods;
- utilize cutlery, china, glass and cloth napkins,
- serve nearly all condiments in bulk or reusable containers
The following materials are recycled;
- Glass, Plastics (hard),
- Plastics (soft/film e.g. cling or shrink wrap),
- Aluminium cans,
- Steel cans and scrap metal,
- E-waste (electronic/WEEE)
- Biodegradable waste is sent for composting
- Biodegradable waste is reported separately from general and recycling
- We can provide show/day specific figures, segregated by waste stream.
- We know average venue waste figures and can supply them.
- The West building features a unique marine habitat, a sophisticated drainage water and recovery system, and a seawater heating and cooling system.
- The West building’s six-acre living roof – the largest in Canada and the largest non-industrial living roof in North America – features more than 400,000 indigenous plants and grasses as well as four beehives.
- Drainage and recovery systems are designed to collect and use rainwater for irrigation during summer months.
- Low flush toilets.
- We measure water use.
- It is easy to cycle or walk to the venue.
- We have a greening committee
- Public transport is close to the venue, and well used by venue patrons
- Paid parking is available at the venue